Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Chapter 5 in Collins/Halverson

This week I enjoyed both Chapters in Collins/Halverson book.  The brief history in chapter 4 of American Education and how it came to be was good, but the Chapter 5 is where my interests caught a little bit of a spark.  This is education in the computer age.  It is mostly good, but the chapter is very careful to show you both sides of the story.  Here we see almost every form of technology based learning from computer software, to home schooling to distance learning and much more.  Some of these I am a fan of and some not so much, but I do agree there is a place in society for all of them when it comes to learning.  Most of these I wish were around when I was going through school years ago.  I am doing my best to get caught up on the technical side and I am enhancing the education side more and more each day.  We are all doing the Distance Education thing and are in this class for various reasons, most of which are helping us to become better teachers using technology.  This is a big contrast from the way I grew up learning, and it will hopefully be a better one for the kids of the future.

Reference:

Collins, A., & Halverson, R. (2009). Rethinking education in the age of technology: The digital revolution and schooling in America. New York: Teachers College Press.  

No comments:

Post a Comment